As the name suggests a beer house sold beer (and cider), but not wine or spirits - and this was one of the distinguishing features between it and a public house. Welcome to Broadwater's Big Day Out. It was afterwards renamed Augusta House in her honour. 3500BCCissbury Neolithic hillfort established. Area information, map, footpaths, walks and more. Opening of the John Horniman Convalescent Home for children. Lifeboat `Jane saved the lugger `Harkaway from Shoreham, which was in distress off Worthing. All Hospitals within 5 Kilometers of the Postcode: BN14 8QE Broadwater, Worthing. East Worthing coastguard station destroyed in the Great Storm. Review. One postal delivery a day was made by two men. The princesss delicate health was considerably improved by her sea-bathing at Worthing and she left on December 7. The public house was run by three generations of the same family beginning in 1888 for over 100 years and not surprisingly given its proximity to the Green it became the home of the local cricket club.Paine Manwaring (and Lephard)From the 18th century until 2012, one of the core businesses of Broadwater has been Paine Manwaring. . 1282Offington was the principal `township of Broadwater parish. Worthing Broadwater is a neighbourhood of Worthing, in the borough of Worthing in West Sussex, England. 1545A small French military force `invaded Brighton on July 18. A cricket match was played on Broadwater Green for a stake of 500 guineas. Total cost was 11,000, with 6,250 contributed by American multi-millionaire industrialist and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. The victim was identified as Santana Guzman-Hernandez, 57, from El Salvador. Heene Terrace of 18 four-storey houses erected as part of the new town of West Worthing, at the same time as West Worthing Esplanade. Before its incorporation into the Borough of Worthing in 1902 Broadwater also included the manor of Offington to the north. Long curved shelter built between beach and the birdcage bandstand, west of the Pier. Croquet was a popular attraction in Homefield Park, where it could be played for 2d an hour per player. Broadwater Street EastBroadwater Street East, westernmost section was originally part of the old Broadwater Street. 1591Queen Elizabeth 1 killed deer with a crossbow at Cowdray, near Midhurst in August and also visited Buncton, near Ashington. 1866Sale by the Shelley family of South Street Fields, on the west side of Chapel Road, the original Town Hall and South Street. 43ADBeginning of Roman occupation of South East Britain. Sussex Police have now revealed a man has been arrest over "making threats to kill". The church was not rebuilt until 1915. Welcome to. 1419Broadwater-Littllehampton road existed at this time. Worthing - Broadwater. Thomas Trotter, a travelling actor-manager, opened a barn theatre in High Street; five years later replaced it with the New Theatre, later the Theatre Royal, Ann Street. The force said they would "update later". We are located at 5 Ardsheal Road, Broadwater, by the small roundabout by Broadwater Green. Pet Shops Cost Guide. The company later made a gift of Ilex Avenue and the Plantation for public recreation. 1910Earl Winterton (Conservative) elected MP for the Horsham and Worthing Parliamentary division. 1887 or 1888An H Feest was in the crew of The Minstrel, a `four-oared galley and won a 5 prize. The journey took eleven-and-a-half minutes and 1,750 passengers were carried and the first day. 1228Offington now larger and more important than Roadwater. Please report any comments that break our rules. Mayor of Worthing Robert Piper, the largest grower in the area, guaranteed the cost of Worthings first countrywide newspaper advertising campaign for `the season.. Herne Bay Clock Tower: A descriptive history. A drinking fountain, destined to be a landmark for many years, was erected in South Street by a Miss Brandreth. This mint probably made coinage up to the end of the reign of William 11. 680ADBishop Wilfred of Selsey established a mission among the pagan Saxons. The public electricity supply came to Worthing and Steyne Gardens . The Green was granted in perpetuity to the people of Worthing, following a campaign in 1863 to restore it as a pleasure green, free from gravel and rubbish pits.Pound HouseThis house was built in 1789 on a parcel of land that was originally part of Broadwater Green. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. It is also used during the year for various events and activities. Henry Dundas, First Lord of the Admiralty, stayed in Worthing. 1968Opening of Aquarena indoor swimming pool next to Beach House grounds. Do you want the latest news from across Sussex delivered straight to your inbox? 1870First Worthing street directory published by Frederick Lucy. 1861Marie Amelie, Consort of King Louis-Philippe of France, stayed for six weeks in Worthing, accompanied by her family including seven sons, and a large retinue of servants. Area information, map, footpaths, walks and more. Plan. Stationary traffic on A2032 from Broadwater Street West (A24) to Rectory Road (A2031) / Of. Sunday Closed . 210ADRoman villa and bath built on western slope of Highdown Hill. Shortly before 1pm a witness reported that police were entering a building in the street. Closed - Opens at 7 AM. 1958Winston Churchill visited the Connaught Theatre, Worthing on October 10, to watch his actress daughter Diana in a play. Castle Goring was sold in 1845 for 11,250. Closed now : See all hours. A large branch fell off the tree many years ago. . Charlotte Latham, arguably this countrys first serious folklorist, worked as a governess in Worthing, when she was a young woman in the 1820s. A caravan and camping site grew up near the beach, south of what is now Alinora Crescent. West Sussex At 2.30pm a passerby said emergency services vehicles were leaving the scene. 0. by ; 2022 June 3; barbara "brigid" meier; 0 . 0.6 miles West Worthing; 0.8 miles Worthing; Listed on 22nd Feb 2023; Call. 5-11 Broadwater Boulevard, Worthing, West Sussex, Bn14 8je, England. Inrix, the traffic and travel data company said: "A24 Broadwater Road southbound blocked, heavy traffic due to accident, two vehicles involved around Queen Street.". Find out how to renew your repeat prescriptions. Worthing now covered 2,639 acres. George V Hotel opened in Goring Road in time for Silver Jubilee celebrations of George V. 1936Shoreham Airport became Brighton, Hove and Worthing Municipal Airport. In 1868 she was introduced to a man who had claimed to have witnessed this spectral dance of the dead and been frightened out of his very senses by the ghostly apparition. Opening of St Matthews Church, in Tarring Road. Building of Beach House, designed by John Rebecca, and Highdown House built for the Lyon family. Wg War Memorial, Chapel Rd, unveiled to crowd of 7,000. 1883Worthing Gazette newspaper first published on July 12. Opening of the Cliftonville Curve on outskirts of Brighton allowed through trains from Worthing to Victoria. "The A24 going through this location is currently closed while officers are dealing with the matter. Show all. An `elaborate and costly new Worthing drainage scheme was created at a cost of over 100,000. There were 474 in this year but only 432 qualified to vote; the remainder had not paid the shilling demanded. Some still had only gas lighting. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can Bathing was now allowed from the pierhead for 4d and steamers made frequent trips to Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings, Littlehampton, Bognor, the Isle of Wight and Southampton. Otto Brown's "signature" trade plate is blind-stamped at the bottom left of the photograph. First Non-Conformist Chapel (later Congregational) built at the south end of Portland Road. **1911Worthing Central railway station completed. 1973Courtlands becomes the administration centre for the areas Health Authority. 1978Remains of an ancient villa discovered on site while Northbrook College is being built. AA road and motorway traffic news and route planner. "This was about 8.45am so its been going on for a while. 30 May 2023 - 04 June 2023 . Became St Pauls Church in 1894. They vacated the building 25 years later when West Worthing became part of the Borough of Worthing; the building then became a public library and School of Art. Sussex Police said schools in the area "will have been informed" following reports that several school in the area had been places "on lockdown". 1921Population of Worthing was 35,215 including 3,690 holiday visitors; the population of Goring 6,630. Nearest town: 17.44 miles from Worthing. Find routes near Broadwater Green, Worthing. Posted. The A24 Broadwater Road southbound experienced delays following a two-vehicle collision near Queen Street. A terrace of five separate lodging houses with stucco facades, ionic pilasters, porches and balconies, was one of the towns most impressive Regency buildings. Reminiscences of Edward Snewin, Worthings first historian, published in the Worthing Gazette. New Worthing Hospital opened in Lyndhurst Road, with 16 beds and four cots. 1868Thirty-one carriers were providing a regular service of transportation journeys between Worthing and 56 towns and villages throughout Sussex. She stayed at Trafalgar House for the winter. Opening of the Steyne Hotel, Worthing. The owner is very helpful if you have a query or a question. 1655-58During the Civil War the Vicar of Ferring was replaced by `three Puritan preachers of the Gospel but a vicar was reinstated after the Restoration. Demolition of Warwick House, which stood just north of present-day Elm Road. 1799Year of the last execution and gibbeting to be carried out in Sussex. Disabled parking. 69 Alfold - Worthing via Pulborough Compass Travel; N700 Brighton - Worthing - Durrington Stagecoach South; It was also a well renowned cricket ground described in The Sussex Advertiser on the 10th September 1827 as follows Broadwater Green is considered by competent judges to be the best ground in England, and where the play can be seen to the utmost advantage. Worthing England Live Traffic and Accident Reports. in a place which local peasants named Durrington. Hearing of the wreck, Waller hastened to Broadwater and took possession of the ship and cargo, valued at 50,000, hoping to claim them as prize and pay his troops out of the proceeds. Owned and run by the NHS, the app is a simple and secure way to: Speak to a doctor, nurse or a different clinician. Confirmedwhen polished Stone Age axe heads were found during 20th century excavations at the west end of The Strand, in Ardingly Drive, Thakeham Drive and on Highdown Hill. "The A24 at this location is currently closed.". He became an artist and painted some of the earliest still existing water-colours of the Worthing area, including the Old Sea House Inn in 1785 and the Cross Street Mill from the Teville Toll Gate. West Sussex 1918RFC training station almost completed at Goring when war finished. Induction loop. Former Chief Inspector Walter Dew, CID of Scotland, was married in the church to Florence Idle in 1928: he was the chief investigator in the Crippen murder case, having previously investigated the Whitechapel murders ('Jack the Ripper'). During the Second World War is was used as a headquarters by the local Home Guard. Steyne laid out and 23 lodging houses built in west side. The incident on the A24 has now been cleared and normal traffic conditions have resumed. Death of Rev William Davison on April 24. 936ADAelfwald bequeathed land at Braden watere to his brother. Today the site is covered by part of the Safeway supermarket. All Worthing Safety Ctte breathylised. The A24 Broadwater Road saw delays after a crash between two vehicles. Richard Cook, aged eight, was killed by the sail of a windmill in Teville Field on February 21. Worthing further enlarged by the addition of Findon and Sompting, making a total of 8,025 acres. Worthings first Post Office in Warwick Street was run by a woman who also took orders for millinery. Guy Emerson Broadwater of Accident, Garrett County, Maryland was born on July 20, 1923, and died at age 80 years old on July 12, 2004. The Broadway, in Brighton Road, built on what had been the front garden of Warwick House, demolished a few years earlier. Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services. 675,000. 1724A mill was built 120 yds west of Grand Ave on south side of Mill Road. In addition to being Rector of Findon he had a benefice in London, two in the diocese of Lincoln, one in Rochester, one in Hereford, another in Coventry, one in Salisbury and no less than seven in Norwich!